All manuscripts must be sent through the send article tab connecting to the Open Journals Systems (OJS). You need to be signed up to be able to do this.
If you have a username and password
If you need a username and password
Signing up is essential in order to be able to send articles as well as to check on their progress.
The journal comes out twice a year. Issues will coincide with the first week of January and July each year, to maximise the visibility of published articles.
Texts can be submitted in Spanish and English. All work must have a title, summary and keywords in Spanish and English.
All the contents published by the journal are of open access to encourage the dissemination and visibility of the articles so that scientific knowledge is shared with all researchers, moving away from potential mercantilism as far as possible.
Article review process
All articles received are subject to a double-blind anonymous review by external editors who are experts in the topic or field of the article. To protect this anonymity, the name and affiliation of the authors will appear solely on the first page. The authors will ensure that the text does not contain any clues or suggestions which would allow them to be identified.
The review procedure is performed through OJS, thus ensuring an automatic and electronic record of each and every sequence generated.
Following the receipt of the manuscript, the system will produce an acknowledgement of the work for the lead author, sending back an offer of acceptance or rejection within four months. Final acceptance will depend on the improvements or modifications to the work that the consultants or editing board proposes for the author.
If an article is accepted for publication, the rights to print and reproduce in any way or form will belong to the Health and Addictions/Salud y Drogas journal, which will not reject any reasonable request by the authors to obtain the permission to reproduce their contributions.
Sending an article to the journal implicitly means that the signatory authors commit to the following:
- The first signatory of the article represents the other authors.
- The article has not been published either partially or entirely in any other publication.
- The article has not been sent to any other journal.
Instructions to Authors
Prior to submission read the following guidelines:
1. Health and Addictions will accept empirical works with methodological rigor and works of a theoretical or review nature, which are related to the general objectives of the journal. By quality criteria, review articles will be published up to 25% of the total of articles in each issue.
2. Only unpublished articles will be published, not those that have been published in full or in part, nor those that are in the process of publication.
3. Research articles shall contain the characteristic headings of scientific research
- Title, authors and institution to which they belong
- Abstracts in Spanish and English (MAX. 200 words)
- Text organized in
Method (design and participants, variables and instruments, procedure, data analysis, ethical considerations)
Discussion (conclusions, limitations)
4. The review articles will consist of a) Introduction b) Development of the topic c) Discussion and Conclusions d) References.
5. The works will have a maximum length of 30 pages including figures and tables, will be sent in Microsoft Word, with Calibri Light font size 11, 1.08 spacing with previous spacing 6 pto and later 12 pto, margins of 3 cm. Numbering in the lower right.
6. Language: works in Spanish and English will be accepted.
7. For the preparation of the manuscripts, the norms of publication of the APA 7th Edition must be followed. Some of the most significant changes are:
- It is not necessary to indicate the publisher geographically in the book references
- Do not indicate "retrieved from" in website references
- DOIs must go with the URL
- Authors should not be omitted in references with suspensive dots until reaching the 20 authors
- Citations in the text of references with more than three authors can be shortened to the first author and added "et al."
8. Figures and Tables will go in the text of the article in their recommended position and correctly referred to in the text. They have to be in an editable format and the text will have to go with the font Calibri Light size 9, single spacing and space after 3 points. The number of Tables and Figures shall not exceed 5.
9. At the time of submission of the manuscript, the authors will propose 2 reviewers for consideration, depending on their suitability to the topic of the article.
10. The author who uploads the manuscript to the OJS system must include in addition to the contact emails and the affiliation of the other authors, the corresponding ORCID of all the signatories of the article, completing the user in the web system.
11. Manuscripts will be reviewed anonymously by independent experts using the double-blind modality. In order to maintain this anonymity, the name and affiliation of the authors will appear only on the first page. Authors will avoid that the text contains keys or suggestions that identify them.
12. Upon receipt of the manuscript, the system will acknowledge receipt of the work to the first author, sending a response of acceptance or rejection within 4 months. Eventually the final acceptance could depend on improvements or modifications of the work that the consultants or the editorial board propose to the author.
13. If a work is accepted for publication, the rights of printing and reproduction by any form and means become the journal Health and Addictions/Salud y Drogas, that will not reject any reasonable request by authors to obtain permission to reproduce their contributions.
14. The opinions expressed in the articles are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not compromise the scientific opinion and policy of the journal. The activities described in the published works will be in accordance with the generally accepted criteria of ethics, both with regard to animal and human experimentation, as well as with regard to professional ethics.
To continue with the editorial process, you must review/complete the metadata of the article with the data of all the authors of the article in the journal's system. The ORCID of each person (author and co-authors) should be included, as well as name, surname, email, institution and country.
The name, surname, institution and email of at least two researchers, specialists in their field of study, with whom there is no conflict of interest, should also be included.
FORMAL AND FORMAT ASPECTS TO BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT
- Structure both the abstract and the abstract in Introduction, Objectives, Results and Conclusions.
- Use dots instead of commas for numerical numbers (i.e. 4.3 instead of 4.3).
- Unify the number of decimals in the text and tables.
- Use of "&" instead of "y" in the references, both throughout the text of the manuscript and in the section of references (i.e. Díaz & Ramírez instead of Díaz and Ramírez).
- Review the use of localisms.
- Tables and Figures throughout the text should be named with the first letter in capital letters (i.e. Table 1 instead of table 1)
- To exemplify in the text, use the abbreviation e.g. (equivalent to "for example")
- To clarify the text, use the abbreviation i.e. (equivalent to "that is", "that is")